Tuesday, March 15, 2011

3 Months Old!

I can't believe how quickly it seems my little guy is already changing.  I mean 3 months old.  That's crazy.  It seems like at this age Hudson is changing everyday.  Just when you think you know a guy...he decides to surprise you. 

I decided that I would update you all on the happenings of this little guy at 3 months.  The daily life of Hudson Shamblin and some major bench marks we have reached.  Now, just as a prelude...some of these things aren't really going to seem like great achievements in your eyes.  However, something you should know is that while Hudson's body has done a great job healing from the 2 months he had in the NICU, his emotions have been a little fragile to say the least.  Our little boy still carries the effects of NICU life with him and we have had to break through some tough obstacles to calm his nerves about seemingly meaningless things.

For example, he has what the physical therapist calls 'fear of movement.'  This basically means that from the minute we got him home, every time he changed positions in our arms or was passed from one person to the next he would scream, LOUDLY (he's got quite the high-pitched, ear piercing, only dogs can hear kind of scream).  Now while this 'fear of movement' has been somewhat frustrating and annoying to us...I completely understand and feel sorry for the poor guy.  I mean what do you expect?  When you stick a newborn in a bed and have them do nothing but lie on their stomach for 2 months, and then expect them to go home and be passed from person to person and place to place...I'm thinking that's a little unfair.

But luckily, we have introduced Hudson to the giant yellow exercise ball.  And life will never be the same.


This has been our saving grace.  We plop this tiny munchkin on the ball and bounce and move in every which way possible.  And while he was a little apprehensive at first...


He actually really enjoys it.


It is such a fun way for him to get used to moving and playing outside of a bed.  And it's pretty fun for dad and I too!  Between this and 'flying', we've got the perfect antidote for this boy's fear of movement.


Which leads me to another fear of my son's; being on his back.  Now this one really puts a spin on life at home (not to mention Bellybou').  What are you supposed to do with a baby who cannot sit up on their own, and cannot lift their head for long enough to be entertained on their stomach when you can't place them on their back?  Answer...either carry them everywhere, or hear them scream bloody murder.  But with a lot of silly faces and slow transitions from his side to his back, we have had several successes!



Yes, it has been an interesting and challenging month for us.  We have had to dig deep and find more patience and understanding for our son's situation than I ever anticipated.  But the coolest thing has been to watch my little boy adjust and learn and actually begin to enjoy the things he once feared.  So here he is; my little fighter, my little champ, living life in a big big world and soaking up and enjoying every second of it without fear.


Gotta love those hands!


Favorite pastime...laughing at himself in the mirror.


Second favorite pastime...reading.  He actually looks at the pages, smiles, coos, and laughs.  So fun.



I love this boy with all of my being.  I am so very, very proud of you Hudson.  Here's to many more months of growth and change.  Bring it on...








3 comments:

  1. Awww... so cute! I think it's so cool that he likes the big yellow ball. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud of you guys! And those motorized swings are worth their weight in Gold! They have been saving graces for getting my brother's twins to sleep. Here's to strengthening trials and accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete